Sunday, August 3, 2008

Japanese Girl, American Girl


Last week, for Mom’s Movie Night, we watched the Japanese-animated film Whisper of the Heart. It’s great for the subtle exposure to everyday life for youth in Japan: drying laumdry on the balcony, biking or taking the bus everywhere, popularity of the American "Country Roads," school uniforms, and studying to get into a good high school. If I’d known how much name-calling there was during part of the movie, I might not have shown it to my impressionable preschoolers. It took several days to mostly weed out their new vocabulary. Cory, on the other hand, has been singing “Country Roads” all week.
This week we watched Molly: An American Girl on the Home Front. I got out my precious The American Girls Club & Historical Society Handbook (a disbanded organization) and found the recipe for Victory Popcorn. When Cory walked in, Kaith informed him “Sweets were rationed because of the War.” I think something sank in.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I remember seeing that Japanese movie. There was something surreal about "country roads" being the main song. I don't know if I ever figured out why it was in the movie.