Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Three Birds, One Stone

I have had several elusive desires, my Three Birds:
*spend one-on-one time with each child
*have a good kitchen education
*kids involved in staging family night

A couple weeks ago I had a humble stroke of genius, my Stone:
*Let one child a week choose and assist in making treat for family home evening, rotate so everyone regularly gets an opportunity.

This stone first flew three weeks ago. Trevor chose Chocolate No-Bake Cookies. Last week Miriam chose Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies (from C is for Cooking). Kaith had been anxiously waiting for his week. When his Monday finally arrived, he spent the morning perusing cookbooks. I did not have to entertain him, and he wasn't whining! After musing aloud, "We could make ___" numerous times, he finally settled on Rainbow Sprinklers, which are a soft sugar cookie rolled in colored sugar. He was so proud to be making (or helping to make) such fancy cookies! I think we need to have the children rotate responsibilities on the lesson, now.






As you can see, Sterling enjoyed the forbidden contraband that his sister gave him.

5 comments:

Stephen said...

Your doing great. Keep it up.

You have 2 very happy looking boys in the pictures.

Debbie said...

I can't wait to see what Trevor chooses.

Stephanie said...

Thank you.

Unknown said...

I don't know you, but I enjoyed visiting your blog! Great to see you hold family home evenings. Way to go!

I'm a huge FHE fan and have an FHE group on the new and safe LDS Ladies Room site at http://www.ourladiesroom.com/ if you want to check it out.

Jeff Hamm said...

great idea!