Sunday, August 17, 2008

Family and a Temple Visit


Well could you follow the formula given by the Lord: 'Establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God' (D&C 88:119).
Thomas S. Monson,


Saturday morning we drove to the tenple, and my heart skipped a beat to see the unexpected scaffolding on that sacred building. The spire was barely visible, but, as we drove closer, I could see the grounds covered with properly dressed people, returning to the temple on the first open Saturday since the summer closure. Cory was watching the kids, so he dropped me off. Just past the front desk I saw that part of the ground flooring had been replaced with beautiful, glossy tile, that magnified the sound of every high-heeled step. I was relieved to reach the next stretch of carpeting. I arrived barely in time for the 9:30 session, with four men and four other women, the smallest session I have ever been in. In the Celestial room I took my time reading and rereading the last page of Proverbs where it describes a virtuous woman, and the spiritual differences between sacrifice and self-indulgence.
Afterwards, I waited for Cory in the shade outside, wondering how they had used the snacks I had made, and if Cory had taken pictures at the park. When he pulled up, I could hear a lively, unfamiliar rendition of "Give Said the Little Stream." He handed me a box with a new quad (Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price bound together) to replace my baptism set that is not really bound and often missing. After playing at the park, he had decided to purchase what may be our last set of treasures before Christmas, and milkshakes for the kids.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oohhh, is it wrong to covet your scriptures? I need a new set, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to give up my seminary scriptures.

Stephanie said...

Just think "I don't want her scriptures, I want a set just like hers."