Saturday, August 9, 2008

Public Riches


You may have riches and wealth untold,
Caskets of jewels and baskets of gold,
But richer than I you will never be,
For I had a mother who read to me.

Thomas Carlyle

as quoted in The Art of Teaching Children by Daryl V. Hoole/Donette V. Ockey, c. 1964 Deseret Book

I felt quite clever. A few days ago I used that delightful multi-tab internet function: one open to easy browsing at Amazon.com, the other had the search engine for our local library. Through Amazon, I found a plethera of books our family can't live without; with our public library I reserved most of them for free. Right now we're enjoying:

Fancy Nancy: Bonjour Butterfly
Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin
My Daddy Is a Pretzel (This is yoga for kids. It's geared for elementry school coordination, but I'm encouraging it persistently, anyway.)
The Philharmonic Gets Dressed (I was embarassed to find that the title accurately portrays the activities of the picture book)

. . . with more holds waiting to be filled! I hope Fantasia 2000 is available for this week's movie night. I really didn't prepare for last week, and felt the lack.

No comments: