Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Trevor's School

By the time Trevor began attending his current school, he could read any short-vowel, 3 letter word you threw at him, combined into sentences or short paragraphs. His teacher assigned him to pre-reading group, level 1, because, even though he could read, he didn't pass that "reading readiness test." Fine. She sent me a note today that she'll be testing him tomorrow and expects him to move up. I can't believe Trevor spends 6 hours and 45 minutes at school, and it has taken him a month to pass that far. At this rate he'll be sounding out c-a-t around June. Oh, wait, he was doing that in preschool. Right now I feel like kindergarten is a waste of our time.

The one thing his school does best at is behavior/discipline. His teacher reads books, daily, about appropriate behavior. She made out a personalized behavior plan, and sends home a report, daily, of how he has done. Really, she's trying. Trevor brought home his fourth discipline referral form for the week today. Yes, I know it's only the third day of the week. You do the math. Instead of improving in his behavior, it's more like he's regressing. I partly blame it on the excessively long school day. When he was on half days, at his last school, he adored school, his teacher, and the whole process. I don't think I ever heard a complaint about his behavior. Now it's daily.

His current teacher wants, as soon as possible, to set-up another conference with me. What could I possibly say to her? Certainly not that he would be reading better if he was still homeschooled. It's funny, I waited so long to put my children in school because I didn't want them to experience negative peer pressure, when (what do you know?) my own children are the negative peer pressure at school. Their own worst enemy. Seriously, though. What do I say to Trevor's teacher?

5 comments:

Bridget said...

We put our 4 year old Elliott in a private kindergarten (he brings home a new reading book every night) so that he'll be academically challenged. I strongly believe he'd be a discipline problem if he was bored in class. Right now he loves school. He loves his teacher. I love that there is a nap time in the full day program so he's even happy in the afternoon when he gets home.

You may find that Trevor is bored and is looking for other ways besides simple tasks to stimulate his mind. If possible, you may also want to volunteer in the class to see what's really going on there. I don't think most young children have discipline issues.

I didn't volunteer at all last year. I just had too much on my plate. But this year I spend about an hour and a half every two weeks in the first grade public school classroom. I like getting to know the other kids in the class and it helps me to put names/faces/personalities together with stories Graeden tells.

Stephanie said...

Thanks, Bridget. I'll consider that. I hadn't planned to volunteer, just because I'm not sure what to do with the younger ones meanwhile, and we're a one-car family, but there might be a way around that.

Debbie said...

Volunteering in the classroom - even if it's only 30 minutes once a week can be a big help. I did that when Nathan was in second grade - after he had had a difficult time in first grade. I was able to establish a better relationship with his teacher - things didn't build up so much - we could talk face to face every Friday afternoon.

Maybe you could find another mother to trade babysitting with.

Suzanne said...

It'll get better. I promise. Emma had a tough transition when we moved. Then she had a personality conflict with her 1st grade teacher. Thankfully by second grade she has become a star student. Maybe you should just move Trevor up to second grade :)

Things to discuss with his teacher; 1) Does he get rewarded for good behavior?

Are you (Steph) willing to reward if he goes x number of days without a "bad" report?

2) What time of day is this happening? Triggers for behavior (during group time or free time)?

3) Does he need more work to keep him busy?

By the way, I don't volunteer in Emma's class, it's too distracting to be in the class. Ask the teacher if there is any class project that you could do at home for her. That way, you get to know the teacher, feel like you're helping the class, and you don't need to find a sitter for your other kiddos.

Good luck!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the ideas. I'm giving this one a lot of thought.