Saturday, December 5, 2009

My Sparkley

My husband-to-be had exquisite taste in choosing my diamond engagement/wedding ring. There wasn't a ghost of a "couldn't this be exchanged" thought to be had. Sometime after our seventh wedding anniversary this spring I had a broad dry patch of eczema on my ring finger. Naturally, I set aside my ring to let the skin heal. The children kept finding my "safe" hiding places, which left me constantly finding new hiding places. Well, sometime around May, I stopped seeing my ring, even when I looked for it. We waited, prayed, searched, waited, prayed, searched, again and again. We packed up and cleaned the house. It never turned up. Threads of hope rapidly unraveled. Three thousand miles later, I feel self-conscious taking my family places with my under dressed finger. It sheds doubt on one's virtue. Not that strangers care, but I do.
Today I was looking for my poinsettia pin, so I could wear it to church tomorrow. I opened the box that held my pearl bracelet, and down fell a lump of gold and diamond. I sat on the closet floor, squeezing it, laughing, crying and praying. I made more fuss over finding it than I did when my husband first gave it to me. I had been sure it was lost forever. So, rejoice with me. My hand looks whole again.
Non sequitor: as if that didn't make the day fabulous enough, while I was gone for a few hours, Cory managed to install our light/ceiling fan in the master bedroom! It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

YEAH!!!!!

Mad Runner said...

I lost my wedding ring right after Connor was born and made Jim tear the entire house apart. Found it in the laundry a week later. It was like receiving it from Jim all over again. Yeah for you!!

Stephen said...

I'm glad your hand is whole again. That's great.

Your mother's hand is whole again also but it took a new ring for her. We do know where the cut rings are though.

Debbie said...

Rejoice, rejoice.

It's the Lord's way of making sure that the sisters in your ward don't think you are a woman of loose morals...

...or maybe it's a reward for accepting a challenging calling...

Stephanie said...

Since I found it while preparing for my first meeting, I connected it with the new calling.

M.A.C. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.