Monday, July 21, 2008

A Movie in the Park

As the sun set Saturday evening, our family arrived at the park. We walked on an unfamiliar paved trail past the exciting play equipment to a large soccer field. We heard the movie before we saw it: the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Grandpa W. and Uncles Alex and Daniel met us (the kids, myself, and even my husband Cory). We had brought our own bowls of maple popcorn. Grandma W. had sent chocolate cupcakes. Sitting on our large quilt, I wished we had brought more blankets; there was little to block the cold air that came off the ocean, over the wetlands, and up into the park. The big screen was to the West, with the last oranges of the sunset behind it. Suddenly, flying above the screen, flew a large bird: an owl! Forgive my excitement. I don't think I had ever seen an owl in the wild before. It was nearly eleven when we left. The children were temperamental at church on Sunday, but the good memories will outlast the sacrifice.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Thank you for inviting us. We had fun.

I don't know if the carmel popcorn was ever cleaned off the blankets.

Stephanie said...

I still have to wash ours.