Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Happy Childhood

Being a perpetual goal setter, when Cory and I read the first part of Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families, I was all over the family/parenting mission statement. So over it, that I rephrase it periodically (if you look closely, the different ones mean about the same thing). Currently it reads:

We give our children a happy childhood, and prepare them for a happy adulthood.
My only problem is the desire for clarification on what constitutes a happy adulthood. I know what I mean though. There's a pleasant book called Childhood Roots of Adult Happiness, by Edward M. Hallowell, M.D.. It lists a dozen things that can help children either have a happy childhood, or survive childhood. The author says that having all of the things may not be necessary, but more is better. Rephrased by me, here they come.
Twelve Elements of a Connected Childhood
unconditional love, family togetherness
nature
a pet (we have squirrels in our backyard)
ideas and information
beauty, the arts
friends, neighborhood, community
organizations, institutions (i.e.-Cub Scouts, Primary, school, etc.)
individual's own self
God, spirituality
chores, work,responsibility to contribute
hobbies and/or sports
a sense of the past




2 comments:

Debbie said...

So....I just have to ask...

Did you have a happy childhood? Sorry about the no pets thing, but if you can count squirrels, I think I could count the herd of horses next door (in GF).

Stephen said...

We had some fish and she had a rat for a couple weeks. Cows across the fence in front and lots of geese.

I don't think the dead frog in our well water qualifies.

By the way, we now have the climbing tree you always wanted in the front yard.