Sunday, November 16, 2008

Proposition 8

Even after the votes have been counted, the heat is still on about California's Proposition 8. I have a lot of thoughts on the issue. I only put a few in a letter I sent to an editor. In case the letter doesn't get published, or those interested don't get that newspaper, I'll publish it here as well.
What Rights Do Gays Have?

I noticed that Molly Metz said California’s Proposition 8 "gives the entire country the right to call us second class citizens," and I wondered, had her voting rights been removed? Was her social security reduced? Was her right to bear arms removed? Was she imprisoned? Our nation has a long, proud history of granting people the right to believe what they will believe.

Often gay rights are called a civil right, and compared to the wonderful revolution that ended limiting citizen’s rights based on their genetic history or national origin. Some psychologists suggest that there may be a gene that dictates homosexual inclinations. If this Proposition 8 called for brain scans that would determine which parts of society would have their rights stripped, it would have been a civil rights issue.

Our founding fathers fled from the social trends of Europe to found a country of religious freedom. When a few of these religions supported values traditional to America, and rejected following a modern European and media trend, the majority of the citizens voted to support them. Should gay rights supercede religious freedom or voters’ choices?

Do I hate gays? No. I love the people. I just don’t sanction their actions.

5 comments:

Mad Runner said...

Snaps to you for your very eloquent letter - well said! I agree whole heartedly!

Stephanie said...

Thank you!
It did get published. One person read it and looked up my phone number. I was as amused as disgusted by her accusations. "You're just like people I went to high school with in the seventies! You'd make my people ride on the back of the bus if you could! You think we're second class citizens! If you're going to ship us off to a deserted island, do it now and get it over with!"
There was, of course, one accusation I had to accept. "So, you think your relationship with your husband is better than my relationship with my girlfriend!?"
Well, yes. I do.

m_perfect said...

Go team Stephanie! It takes a lot of courage to outface the pseudo-righteous arguments of those that want to create a racism of their own. I agree that everyone has a right to their own views and biases. I just don't want to be a witness and a partisan for it and I don't want to be bullied into agreement with their concepts.

Stephen said...

I'm proud of you.

Hopefully she felt better after being able to call you and rant. I know you didn't.

Stephanie said...

By the end of our nine minute discussion, we were able to cordially wish each other a happy life, before going our very different ways.
A soft answer turneth away wrath (while staying firm on said principle).