Sunday, November 9, 2008

Family Art

I'm still plugging away at my art classes. I suppose I'm improving in my personal skill, but it is painful to be classed as entirely unexceptional in my artistic endeavors. Most recently, I attempted a charcoal imitation of a sketch by Raphael for homework (no, I don't know what the picture is about). I thought I had done better than I usually do. My teacher graded it "C" and told me I need to draw with straight and curved lines. Please forgive me, but if I'm not drawing with straight lines, and not drawing with curved lines, what am I possibly drawing?
On a more positive note, I've acquired the inexpensive treasure: Art for the Very Young; Ages 3-6. I think we'll do an art lesson or two from it every Friday. The first section of the book is a study of line. It recommends showing the children black and white line art from Franz Kline. I laughed when I saw it. Think of a preschooler attempting Chinese calligraphy with a thick paintbrush. Well, I showed the children a few images (my favorite has the unlikely title Painting Number 2). Then they took handfuls of pre-cut black lines and dropped them onto construction paper (it was supposed to be white, but I didn't have enough). They needed a bit of help gluing. Miriam was the most focused, and was very proud of her composition, which now hangs above her bed. Kaith named his (the red one) Letter X on a Horse and Letter Z on a Jet.
We all had fun with it, and if people can call what Franz Kline did art, maybe my talent isn't completely a lost cause.

6 comments:

Mad Runner said...

I think your drawing is well done and has straight lines and curvy ones. Art is in the eye of the beholder and your teacher is too 'artsy' to know good work!

And Kaith and Miriam's work is might good too!

Debbie said...

"Art is whatever you can get away with"...evidently your teacher does not quite subscribe to that philosophy.

I love your art...and theirs.

Keira said...

A "C"? If only my best were close to his average...

Stephen said...

If that's the best input your teacher can give, I think he could use some classes in writing. Criticism is useless unless it's constructive criticism.

Your art is great. Keep teaching those kids.

Laura said...

I think you're drawing is absolutely fabulous! I thought it was taken out of a book or something... amazing!

Shauna said...

Hey, I ♥ your blog! Thanks for sharing :)