Sunday, May 3, 2009

How Do I Love Thee

Since I missed most of Church today, I've been getting a spiritual recharge from Mormon Messages on youtube. Elder Holland's message about love is the one that sank the deepest, partly because I'm missing Cory who is still on the other side of the continent, and partly from the discovery of how many different ways family have showed love and support for me, in the days I thought I would be most alone

like when Alex slept over, so we didn't have bring the kids to the shuttle in the middle of the night, then played with the children all Saturday morning, so I could catch up on housework

like the several family members who quickly salvaged a ridiculous situation when I locked my keys in my van . . . some by transporting us, some by unlocking the vehicle--I still can't believe they did it

like when people have talked with us and supported us and fed us and entertained us.



If Cory wasn't gone (until Tuesday), I wouldn't have known how much outpouring of love our families were capable of, nor how much I would miss him. I miss our evening talks about current events and the day's experiences. I miss his assistance in getting the children ready for church and for bed. I miss his interest in what I'm thinking and feeling. I miss his understanding so much before I explain, and how he will keep listening until he does understand, when necessary. I miss how he smooths out and solves tough situations and keeps a spare key in his wallet. I miss who he is, the texture of his spirit when we're working together or being together. I miss him.

2 comments:

m_perfect said...

A love who is far away is sometimes much nearer than one who is at hand. Is not the mountain far more awe-inspiring and more clearly visible to one passing through the valley than to those who inhabit the mountain?
-mostly quoted from Kahlil Gibran

Debbie said...

Only one more day...

I'm looking forward to hearing from you later today - hopefully with good news!