Monday, February 22, 2010

Seriously?

Between his teacher's behavior tracking sheets and simple at-home rewards (a cookie) Trevor's school behavior has become greatly improved over the last few months. Originally he only got a frowny face if he did something physical, like poking or kicking another student. Once that was under control, his teacher upgraded to tracking whether he was compliant vs. talking back. It is no longer uncommon for him to bring home a behavior sheet showing a day's worth of smiles. This is good, although he can still have a bad day.

Like today.

Call me calloused, but now I mostly roll my eyes (child not present) when he brings home another office referral. Today's offense? Putting his mouth on another child's arm. That's it. No, no biting. What gets me is the tone of the office administrator's comments, which I'll quote "Trevor intentionally put body fluids on another person. That is a serious health issue for both children. Another incident may result in suspension" (emphasis added).

Seriously?

4 comments:

Mad Runner said...

Public schools, aren't they lovely? You know these rules were put in place because a hand full, if not just one loud one, parents complained and threatened. Good luck.

Stephen said...

I sure it's much more of a health hazard to Trevor then anyone else.

Debbie said...

Just wait until he starts kissing the girls.

Rebekah said...

In first grade, I once got in soooooooo much trouble for biting my friend's arm. See, that I understand, but he didn't bite the other kid.

"DOWN WITH TREVOR!" they say, banging their near-empty beer mugs on the staff room desks.